Fundamentals of Lung Biology and Physiology
Introductory seminars through which students acquire the necessary basic knowledge and awareness of important general scientific issues before starting their research project.
All of the following courses are mandatory.
1. Fundamentals of Lung Biology and Physiology:
This Introductory module aims to familiarize students from different scientific and academic backgrounds with lung biology and physiology.
The seminar lays the foundation for the research project and covers lung anatomy and histology, lung physiology, lung biology, and an introduction to lung diseases.
The 3 day lecture series "Fundamentals of Lung Biology and Physiology" takes place as an online only event on the 18th, 19th and 20th of October.
Program and Links:
- Monday, October 18, 2021 9:00 AM - 6 PM (CEST): https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/903325317
- Tuesday, October 19, 2021 9:00 AM- 5.30 PM (CEST): https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/354598069
- Wednesday, October 20, 2021 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM (CEST): https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/288506093
2. Methods in Translational Research: MD and PhD students present fundamental biomedical methods and technologies, which they will use within the framework of their work. Topics and content are added on a relevant basis and include: Animal models, cell and tissue culture, functional analysis and cellular imaging, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence, generation of antibodies, microscopy, nucleic acid analysis, protein analysis, protein-DNA interaction, protein-protein interaction, screening animals, transgene animals and knockout animals. This presentation will be graded and constitutes 20% of the final grade for the introductory module.
The 3 day Method Seminars takes place as an online only event on the 16th, 17th and 18th of November.
Program and Links:
- Tuesday, November 16th, 2021 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 AM (CEST): https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/224528253
- Wednesday, November 17th, 2021 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 AM (CEST): https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/503016413
- Thursday, November 18th, 2021 from 9:00 AM - 12:00 AM (CEST): https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/504353109
3. Written Examination: The objective of the exam is to assess the progress made by the students towards attaining the skills and knowledge described above which are necessary for completing the MD or PhD. Outstanding exams are awarded with a travel grant to help offset costs associated with the attendance at a conference of their choice. The exam is comprised of content from the Fundamentals of Lung Biology and Physiology and Methods in Translational Research. The written exam will constitute 80% of the final grade for the introductory module.
The Written Examination takes place on December, 16th. Location and time will be announced soon.
4. Project Design & Presentation: Students should present an outline of their MD or PhD work that they will pursue, i.e. defining clear research questions and the approaches which will be used to answer them, highlighting originality/significance of the project, and explaining how the project adds to, develops or challenges existing literature in the field.
Date and location tba.